Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Check out this interview with Award Winning Author Sandy Wolters

I like to introduce Award Winning Author Sandy Wolters.  She is a Featured Author today, in the fb Valentine's Day Fantastical Reads Event

 
 About Sandy Wolters 
 in her own words

I’ve been an avid reader for years. To my husband’s dismay, I have bookshelves full of books, rooms full of books, boxes full of books. My cars have books in them. I just can’t seem to get rid of them after I read them. You just never know when you will want to read it again, right? When my husband bought me a Kindle, it cut down on our need for storage, but it opened me up to books that I might never have experienced otherwise.

The biggest transition in my relationship with books occurred, however, when I, much to my surprise, became an author. I had started having dreams about people I didn’t know. I started looking forward to my dreams every night. Then I realized that I was daydreaming about these people as well. I'd just be sitting there, and these people and their antics would pop into my mind. Finally, I gave in and began writing their story down, something I had never dreamed of doing.

After I wrote my first book Maggie Mae, I had do idea what to do with it. After trying the traditional route for a little while, my husband pushed me in the direction of ebooks, and I’ve never looked back.

My books invariably feature strong women. My husband, Michael, and I have raised two strong daughters, Pilar and Shandelle, and they inspire the characters in my stories. As a matter of fact, Pilar was the main character in my book A Brother’s Love, and Shandelle is the main character in my new release Soul Mates. Justice for Emily was the most difficult book I’ve written, and that was because Emily was the victim of a sadistic, cruel, and abusive husband, who just happened to be the Chief of Police. One of my readers described this books as a “good mystery laced with sex, violence, ghosts and spirits.” The only thing her summary left out was the strength of the two women in this story: Emily and Rachael.

I’ve had fun with all the books I’ve written. I think the fact that I insert real events into my books, things that have actually happened in my family’s lives, is like having a private joke. Knowing that Michael Rogers in Maggie Mae is based on my husband tickles my fancy. I am a very lucky woman!

Although I write romance novels, they always contain a paranormal twist. My latest, Soul Mates, has the added element of time travel accomplished through the magical arts. I imagine my future writings will always contain romance with strong women and men of character, influenced by events that reach beyond what we consider normal, and perhaps seasoned with a little touch of whimsy.

Tell us about your book Soul Mates in a 1-3 sentences that are not found in your book overview.
Soul Mates is a steamy time travel romance with wicked magic that spans centuries, two devastatingly handsome men and one woman with a heart of gold.

The book’s description:
Pulled Back Through Time, Shandelle Is Caught Between An Enduring Love And A Wizard’s Magic

In the beginning of time, one soul splits into two. Lifetime after lifetime, the two souls are reborn and seek to reunite. Like a beacon of light from heaven above, their light shines for each other. Without the other, there is only darkness. A wonderful blessing that can only come from a deeply-bonded love, the sharing of one soul can also be a black curse if something disrupts the moment of their coming together.

Ireland 1323
Donovan, chieftain of the Clan O'Brien, has unsuccessfully searched his entire adult life, to the detriment of his clan and all those around him, for that elusive possession that will bring his soul peace. He doesn't know what it is, but he will give up everything to find it. One day, he is summoned by the Wizard and told the secret of his obsession—his soul mate. She is no longer living in his time, but there is a way to bring her back to him.

Phoenix 2013
Shandelle and Ian are embarking on their new life together. She is everything Ian ever wanted but never realized he needed before he met her. Shandelle is a generous soul who lives to make Ian and everyone around her happy. Unfortunately for them both, evil is stalking them. The blood bond duty of a close friend brings betrayal and evil into their lives. How were they to know that the death of a six-year-old girl in the early fourteenth century could have such grave consequences on their lives today?

**Soul Mates was nominated in the Paranormal Romance Guild's 2013 Reviewer's Choice Awards and took first place in its category!

From reading the book description, it seems to have a spiritual element to it. Can you tell us more about this? Are you a deeply spiritual person yourself?
I am a spiritual person.  While saying this, I do not use my books to "preach" to people.  They are meant to be a source of enjoyment to the reader.

I believe that the Universe, God, Budda, whatever your belief system is, has created different levels of soul mates and fate for us to learn from.

I believe that we share pasts with people, both negative and positive, and those people appear in our lives time and time again to help us work through our issues.

I have had experience with both positive and negative soul mates.  Positive soul mates are not just necessarily your partner, they could be anyone from a sibling to a lover, people you care deeply for.  I'm happy to say that I married my positive soul mate 35 years ago. 

Negative soul mates can also be anyone from sibling to lover.  They can even be someone you meet and get a creepy or bad vibe from.  Your relationship with them, if you have one, is usually difficult.

What was your inspiration for the story?
My husband, Mike, was my inspiration.  We've loved each other for so many years now.  We were engaged in high school and married just months after graduation.  I couldn't understand why so many people were setting us up to fail.  I knew we were meant to be and so did Mike.

I also love romance and get a thrill writing it. 

Tell us about your character, Shandelle.  What are her weaknesses and strengths?
Everyone that has read Soul Mates seems to love the character of Shandelle.  She's the type of woman that lets her emotions and feelings lead her.  This does get her into some trouble in the book.

You’ve received some excellent reviews for this book: “Captivating time travel story”, “Terrific time travel romance”,        “Simply captivating”.  Of all the reviews and praise you’ve received, what one, or what kind, stick with you and have really lifted your spirit?
Writing Soul Mates really took me out of my comfort zone.  I like reading time travel romance because the reader gets both contemporary romance and historical romance combined.  It can, however, ruin the story if the time travel is not done properly.  I was really pleased to hear that people were not confused and really enjoyed the time jumps back and forth.

Do any of the characters in this book resemble you, or anyone you’re close to?
The character of Shandelle is drawn from my oldest daughter with the same name.  The character has the same dynamic charisma that draws people to her that my daughter has.  She will give you the shirt off of her back if you need it.  People love her in real life, and I wanted to make sure the character came across with her beautiful personality.

 If you could take a strength of one of the characters in this book, what would it be and from who?
I'd have to say I'd love to have Maeve's strength. Through a blood bond, she is forced to betray her best and most beloved friend, Shandelle.  If she doesn't go through with the task she has been given, all of her future generations will be cursed.  She goes through with the task, but then fights to break it and get Shandelle back.

Now, tell us more about you.  Do you have any writing rituals? Music, a certain computer, a special notebook?
I really don't have any writing rituals.  I can't have music playing because it distracts me.  I end up either singing or dancing which, I've found, is not good for productivity.  I do prefer to write on my computer in my office.  I've tried writing on my laptop and failed miserably.

When facing a plot block, what do you find clears it for you? Exercise, meditation, something else?
Meditation works for me.  I go to my happy place, slow my mind down and concentrate on the characters.  They usually tune in and give me a direction.

Do you outline your books, or write by the “seat of your pants”.
I could never write from an outline.  It is just to restricting to me.  Most of the time, I just sit in front of my computer and the characters take over.  I generally have an idea of a storyline, but I'm usually surprised with the direction a book is taking.
I enjoy writing like this because this is how I like to read.  While I read book blurbs to purchase a book, I never read a book blurb or reviews prior to reading a book.  I want to be surprised at every turn the author takes.
Soul Mates Reviews-
"Simply Captivating" - Nancy Silk - Goodreads
"The journey from 1323 to present day Phoenix, Arizona is written to perfection."  - Ashley Fontainne - Goodreads
"Sandy Wolters is a master wordsmith that weaves beautifully crafted tales of romance that make you a firm believer in happily ever after."  - Samantha Martin - Goodreads
Where to find this book-

Amazon Geo Code:  http://a-fwd.com/asin=B00C89GDIY
B&N:  http://ow.ly/puzEa
iTunes:  http://ow.ly/puzMY
Kobo:  http://ow.ly/qKqvZ
Sony:  http://ow.ly/sCFzQ
All Romance e-books:  http://ow.ly/sCEs4
Smashwords:  http://ow.ly/sCEND

Where to find this Author- 
Website - http://sandywolters.weebly.com/
Blog - Sandy's Spotlight - http://sandywolters.weebly.com/sandys-spotlight.html
Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4772120.Sandy_Wolters
Twitter - https://twitter.com/SandyWolters
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sandy.wolters.5
Amazon Author Page - http://www.amazon.com/Sandy-Wolters/e/B00569J3UI/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1391773938&sr=1-2-ent
  
Link to the Valentine's Day Fantastical Reads Event Right Now!
https://www.facebook.com/events/191966814346532/

No comments:

Post a Comment